Rail Delivery Group: Finding the UK’s Most Over Active Pensioner
To boost sales of one of the country’s railcard stalwarts – Senior. With tough targets against a backdrop of no news story (the card had been on the market, unchanged, for more than 30 years), we needed to find a talking point; a vehicle for driving coverage outside money-saving guides.
The client (Association of Train Operating Companies) described the card as an “enabler”. It isn’t a necessity for the target consumer but, by giving cardholders one third off rail fares, it helps them to get out and about and do more of the things they love. We wanted to bring this concept to life with a campaign that proved relevance through resonance. And so, we launched a nationwide search to find the UK’s new OAP – Over Active Pensioner. Fronted by Janet Street-Porter, the campaign was designed to drive coverage across print, online and broadcast media.
- Against a target of three national hits and 50 regional, we delivered 23 national and 132 regional
- These included four articles in the Daily Mail/MailOnline, four pieces in the Daily Telegraph/telegraph.co.uk and two sizeable mentions in The Independent, along with a talk-up on BBC Radio 4 and an interview on The One Show
- Our winner even made it into the David Cameron-backed ‘Happy List’ in The Independent on Sunday, where he was named as one of the country’s 100 inspirational heroes who make Britain a better place to live
- During the campaign period, Senior Railcard sales grew by a staggering 14%, with more than 9,000 sales attributed to the OAP activity
- All told, we generated £9.73 in revenue for every £1 spent on PR
- PRCA DARE
- Campaign Challenges Award (gold)
- CIPR PRIDE Awards
- Best Use of Media Relations (gold)
- Fresh Awards
- Consumer Campaign (bronze)
- Media Relations (silver)