Flaming Grill: Flaming Failures
To position Flaming Grill as ‘the place to watch sport’.
Unable to compete in the Premier League with big-name sponsors, ‘Flaming Failures’ was born – a nationwide search to find the UK’s worst football teams. Hapless teams could nominate themselves through a Facebook app or via a recruitment page, with entries driven through a combination of PR and targeted Facebook advertising.
- Earned coverage included a double-page spread in Zoo, a sizeable piece in The Sun and a plug on Telegraph Men
- Even Chris Evans tried to get a team together, live on the UK’s most popular radio show
- On Facebook, a targeted advertising strategy focusing on young males who love football and live near a Flaming Grill pub, coupled with engaging content, helped to secure over 1,400 interactions
- Dozens of terrible teams applied to take part, with more than 700 people voting for the eight teams who would compete in the five-a-side and 11-a-side lacklustre live events
- The campaign exceeded its media targets by 100%, and reached over 300,000 people on social, against a media spend of just £500